Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Of Interest,Scope,parents and the degree college aspirant.

Laaaadies aaand Gennnntlemen! It has come to be that time of year when we see students who have passed their 12th std entering that phase of life where they have to decide what they want to do with the rest of their lives.Colleges open their doors to students are worthy enough (whether intellectually or monetarily) and the students and their parents go into a frenzy.
Now, many of these students already know what field they want to pursue, so they go right ahead and do that, but for those who are not sure about what they want to do rely on scope to do that for them.What is this "scope" people talk about? Search me.I don't know.
I see so many students opting for courses only because they were forced to take it up be it due to pressure from parents, relatives or their next door 'aunties' or 'uncles'. Its sad because most of the time, the above mentioned people don't have a clue of what they're talking about. They talk as though they know the market,economy, and companies and give out the impression that they know the difference between good or bad.This may sound funny, but I actually had people telling me that mechanical engineering was a bad choice because it had no "scope" and that I wouldn't get a job and fail miserably. I found it weird,because back then I was confused, not about my choice to pursue mechanical engg., but what I would do after the course,because there were only like a thousand things I could do after getting my degree.
My humble request to parents, if you are reading this post, is for you to please allow your kids to pursue what they want(at least with respect to education), whatever it costs. Scope of a subject/course can only be determined by the capabilities of a student in that field and what best he/she makes of opportunities. So when a person does something he likes, he excels at it.It may take time to see results, but its well worth the wait.
There is never a wrong or right choice, we just need to do our best and believe in what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment